Monday, 2 June 2014

Q&A: Hafsah J - Fashion Design Student

This week I had the opportunity to interview Hafsah J, a student in fashion design. She is known for her love of vintage style and has recently started a blog, writing about fashion, style and beauty. 

Read how she was inspired to study fashion design and hopefully start a career in the industry.


What made you want to study fashion?
This is a hard question!  I know this is going to sound cheesy, but a lady named Penny inspired me.  She had a boutique close to where I live, and the clothes that she sold were mesmerising.  Just her attitude and how nice she was, and the clothes that were in her boutique were amazing! I thought to myself,  I could do this.  I would love to design my own clothes range and have my collection in one of the department stores and worldwide too.  It would be amazing to be recognised for my work.  But it's not as easy at is sounds! Studying fashion is hard, especially the late nights.  And for me, everything has to be perfect.

Are there any particular designers you admire?
When I saw the Chanel Bombay and Paris show I was starstruck, it's just amazing! I love the whole collection.  So much so that I had a dress made, inspired by the collection, for a wedding.  The runway is beautiful, with the big chandeliers and the table settings.  I always go back to that show for inspiration and try to use it in my work.  I love the east meets west concept and how it's not too over the top, but just right.  This has to be my favourite collection of all time.

Who is your inspiration?
To tell you the truth, funnily enough, I was thinking the same thing the other day! I can't say that there is anyone out there that truly inspires me.  I know as a fashion student it's like the end of the world! I basically go into shops and if something is on the mannequin or I like something in the shop, I pick it up and think to myself, "would you really wear this? and if so, how would you style it and what would it look nice with?". Then I plan the whole outfit in my head.  I've got some items in my wardrobe that are just sat there because I just bought them for the sake of it (I think every girl is like that).  Mostly, my clothes are from Topshop because I find the quality and fit just perfect for me.  I could go on and on about how much I love Topshop but I think you'll all get bored of me rambling on so I think I should stop now!

What is the best advice you have ever been given?
The best advice that I have been given is "never give up, always follow your dreams and you'll succeed"

Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Ok, this is a hard question! Before starting university I could see myself having my own business designing clothes, but now, I've realised how hard it really is and that it's not as easy as ABC!  I would like to work for a company at first to build my confidence. Then hopefully start my own business and become a successful and well-known designer all over the world.

What has been your main highlight of this year?
Getting this far! I thought I couldn't do it.  Winning a Student of the Year award from college was also a huge achievement for me and was amazing too!

Do you have other interests outside fashion?
Spending time with my loved ones and going places to eat.  I like fine dining and that sounds snobby, but I'm an ordinary 19 year old girl who loves her food and likes to be spoilt from time to time. Who doesn't?  And although this might sound crazy,  I love the Mini Cooper and hope to get one, one day.

How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style is very floral and girly, I think.  I also love the modern vintage look.  I am all about girly colours, but I do have them days where I choose comfort over style.  So overall my clothes vary, but I would say it's floral.

A piece of clothing every woman should have in her wardrobe?
Definitely a plain black dress! I have two.  Just because you can dress it up or dress it down!  Also, a good thing with the black dress is, when you don't know what to wear, you just stick on the black dress!

What are your beauty staples?
My beauty staples are the Chanel Vita Lumia Aqua because it gives a flawless and dewy finish, which I'm loving at the moment and it's great for normal skin types too.  Also another great beauty product worth investing in, is the Mac Pro Palettes.  They are amazing!  I bought one and it's the best thing!  Another product I can't live without is my 217 brush by Mac.  OMG, this blending brush is the best thing ever! Last but not least, I also can't live without my Rimmel Lip Liner in East End Snob, a gorgeous shade of pink, just beautiful.  This is my 5th one! That's how much I love it!

What's next on your shopping list?
Some Summer clothes, which are staple pieces and simple in style.  Also a pair of round sunglasses which I've seen in Aldo.  Some statement jewellery and a new concealer because I'm not too keen on the Nars creamy concealer because it's medium coverage, and isn't the best one out there.  When I find the right one I can fill my Mac Palette.


Follow Hafsah's blog, check out her Instagram and Twitter too!

xx 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments. Love, love, love reading them! :)

© Love Hijab Girl

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig