Saturday, 14 February 2015

Recipe | Key Lime Pie

So, the other day I was looking through my pictures of all the things that I've baked and came across my yummy key lime pie.  I haven't made this in a while, and remembered that when I first made it how easy it was and how refreshing it tasted too.  It's definitely something I don't usually make but I'm glad I did.  Made me realise it's ok to step out of my comfort zone from time to time.  And so I thought I would share my recipe with you too.  The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it the night before and finish off the next day.  I've found that it tastes even better a day or too later, which is always great IF you have some left over.

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients


Base
  • 125g Digestive Biscuits (crushed)
  • 2 tbsp Sugar
  • 5-6 tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted)

Filling
  • 3 Egg Yolks (room temperature)
  • 390g Condensed milk
  • 120 ml Lime Juice
  • 2 tsp Grated Lime Zest

Topping
  • 240 ml Whipping Cream
  • 2 tbsp Sugar

 Method

  1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
  2. Mix together all the ingredients for the base and press into the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased 9" pie or tart pan.
  3. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until light brown.
  4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
  5. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until pale and fluffy (2-3 mins)
  6. Gradually add the condensed milk and beat for approx 5 mins until light and fluffy.
  7. Now beat in the lime juice and zest.
  8. Pour the filling onto the biscuit base and bake for 10-15 mins.
  9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few hours or preferably overnight in the fridge.
  10. For the topping beat the cream and sugar until they form stiff peaks.
  11. Decorate the chilled dessert with the cream.  You can also pipe the cream with a nozzle.
  12. Sprinkle some lime zest on top and finish off with a slice of lime if you like.
  13. ENJOY!


Key lime pie is very simple and quick to make.  I was thinking of trying out a variation of it with oranges instead of limes.  I've yet to try it out but when I do I'll let you know. 




SHARE:

4 comments

  1. omg this looks so yummy! I need to try this asap!

    http://wonderfulandweirdbeautyandlife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes amazing, you'll love it! x

      Delete
  2. I love baking! I've never actually tried a key lime pie and this looks awesome. Those pictures are on point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jk, you should try this recipe, it's really nice and so easy to make too x

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comments. Love, love, love reading them! :)

© Love Hijab Girl

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig