Monday, 16 February 2015

Trekking up The Atlas Mountains in Marrakech

I'm not a walking type of person, I'm more of a car person.  Sounds like I'm just lazy, but to be honest with you I think it's just a habit now.  I take the easy way and use the car instead, even though, when I do walk I feel really good.  It makes me feel a whole lot better about myself and a lot healthier too.  If only I did it more often.

Now that you know I don't really walk as much as I should, it may come as a surprise when I tell you I trekked up the Atlas Mountains when I went on holiday to Marrakech.  Walking up a mountain is something I would never do in a million years here at home.  But going on holiday makes you want to do things you normally wouldn't do.  I'm not going to blame it on the heat.  But I do think it has something to do with being away from home in a totally new and completely different environment.  You feel like learning new things and having new experiences, and I certainly don't want to miss out when I'm away.  I never like to come back and feel like I missed an opportunity I may never get again.



So towards the end of our trip we decided to squeeze in a trek up the Atlas Mountains and I'm so glad we did.  We got to see some breathtaking views from such a great height.  I'll admit, it was scary at times.  You could say it was a bit like in the movies when you see a drop and a little rock rolls past your foot and you watch it roll and roll until it's no longer visible.  Yes, that's how it really was!  I mean, some of the paths we had to take were so narrow, you couldn't walk alongside anyone.  All I could see was the steep mountainside and a huge drop.  The paths were winding around the mountain so what lay ahead of you was a total mystery waiting to be discovered.  It didn't help being told to make sure you stepped on the correct piece of rock when you follow your guide, especially when every time you did, another one would fall.  That was an experience and a half!     

If you look closely you'll see tiny people

At one point we had to climb up a makeshift ladder up to the next level so we could continue the climb up and there was no other way but that ladder.  I'm happy to say I survived to tell the tale.  Even the wobbly bridge with the missing pieces and the water flowing underneath made my heart go faster than ever with fear.  And that was at the start of the trek!! If I wanted to do this, I had no choice but to tell myself to be strong, face my fears and cross that bridge.


Once we started to climb up, I forgot about my fears and let myself  take in all the natural beauty around me.  There were all these beautiful things hidden inside the mountain, like the waterfalls with its crystal clear water.  So cool and fresh.  Just looking at the mountains from far away is totally different to being right there.  Although it was a very hot day, it felt lovely and cool in the shade of the mountain whilst we were climbing up.


There were plenty of little cafes dotted along the way if you ever felt like taking a rest.  Not being used to it I definitely took a few pit stops to recharge my batteries.  It was lovely sitting on the mountain side taking in the gorgeous scenery with a glass of fresh orange juice.  But it did made me wonder how they managed to bring the crates full of drinks right up to the top!


The views were just amazing.  There's plenty of lush greenery, rocky mountain and in between all that the houses and donkeys belonging to the little community of people living next to the stream at the bottom.  Talking of animals, I was surprised to meet some goats on our way down.  Let's just say I wasn't expecting to see them there!     



I'm smiling to myself as I'm writing this post because it has brought back a lot of lovely memories.   Oh yeah, and did I mention I did the trek in flats, as in ballerina pumps!!!  Only I could do such a thing!  Everyone else had proper walking boots.  Would I do this again?  Oh YES, I wouldn't miss it for the world.  Just remind me to take some proper footwear next time though.


I think I managed to take some lovely pictures too.  I love making memories :)

Have you ever done anything new on holiday?  Like maybe sky diving or scuba diving, anything adventurous and out of your comfort zone?  I would love to know :) 




 
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. What great photos, I'd love to visit Marrakech. Can't believe you did this in flats!

    www.kelsabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Glad I made it back down in one piece! It's a beautiful place to visit and the people are so friendly too. Definitely worth going. x

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos - what a great view! :)

    Courtney xx
    courtneydoesbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The view was amazing from the top, loved it! x

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to go to Marrakech, your photos definitely make me want to go even more now. May just have to add this to the holidays list for this year! x
    www.bellalamoda.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place to visit and flights are pretty cheap too. There's lots to see and do and the food is great too. You'll have a great time xx

      Delete
  4. These pictures are so gorgeous!! It looks amazing. I'd love to do something like this, I'd feel like Lara Croft haha.

    Charlie CP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, now that you mention it, it was bit like being Lara Croft! I'm glad it was only goats that we met on our way down instead of wild creatures! It was a great experience, you should definitely try it out if you get the chance.

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comments. Love, love, love reading them! :)

© Love Hijab Girl

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig