Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Part 3 | Underscarves & Keeping Your Hijab In Place

I know this post is super late and so I'm super sorry.  It's taken me a while but it's finally here.  I'm not going to go into all the details, maybe I'll leave that for another post.  But all I'll say is that there have been some major changes to my life and so I'm just getting used to my new routine.

Anyways, without further ado let's get started because I think I've made you guys wait long enough.


When I first started wearing the hijab I didn't know anything about underscarves and such.  In fact, I never even wore anything under my hijab!  It doesn't mean that as soon as you start covering your head, you're going to know exactly how to do everything properly.  It all comes with practise and experience.  As you wear your hijab you'll learn more about what you need, how to wear your hijab and what feels comfortable for you.

In all honesty there's no right or wrong way.  It's all about covering your hair and feeling comfortable in your hijab.  What works for one person might not work for you....or it might.  You'll definitely be able to take some tips and find something that suits you.

So what should you wear under your hijab?  Underscarf, bonnet, cap or tube?  I personally like to wear an underscarf that I made myself.  It's like a bandana.  I also always wear a black one because then it's the same as my hair colour instead of my hijab.  You could say it's more of a natural look if you know what I mean.


I prefer wearing an underscarf to a tube because then I can wear it as tight as is comfortable for me so that it doesn't become loose or slip away.  That's the most important thing when it comes to keeping your hijab in place.  Your underscarf must be secure.  If it's not then your hijab will have a life of it's own even with all those pins.  You'll be walking around thinking your hijab is on fleek until you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror!

My number one tip when wearing the type of underscarf  I wear, is to make sure you DO NOT cover your ears.  You'll be in a lot of pain if you pin them back against your head.  Believe me, I've been there!  I soon learnt and so I always bring them out from my underscarf so that my ears are sticking out after I've tied both ends around my hair.  It looks funny but it works!  Once you have your scarf on, no ones going to know.


I'd like to also point out that there are underscarves available on the market that have holes in them for your ears.  In all seriousness, you really don't need this at all.  Use my simple trick and you'll be fine.  Trust me.

Also remember to make sure your hair isn't too loose, otherwise it will escape from the back where you've tied your underscarf, resulting in everything else becoming loose too.

Now that your underscarf is in place it's time to put your hijab on.  There's no need to wear your hijab super tight so that it stays in place.  You also don't need tonnes of pins either (unless you're styling it for a wedding or special occasion).  I use one safety pin and 2 small straight pins and that's it!  I actually had 3 but I lost one so I'm having to do with 2 and so far so good.


So how do you put those straight pins into your hijab?  I always pin them into my hijab as though I am weaving them in.  Doing this will keep that pin in place and keep your hijab as you want it too.  Also, when weaving your pin into your hijab, make sure to put the pin through your underscarf too.  This is super important because not only does it secure your hijab style but it also secures your hijab to your undescarf giving it that extra bit of....well, security!  If you don't do this your hijab can still move around.  Try it, you'll see!

And that's it!  Don't be afraid to try what works for you.  The important thing to remember when trying to keep your hijab in place is to make sure your underscarf is secure.  If everything underneath your hijab is tied properly then you won't have to worry about your hijab staying put.

I hope this post and series has been helpful for you.  Let me know if you have tips you can share in the comments below.

Part 1 | Which Fabric Is Best For My Hijab?
Part 2 | How To Care For My Hijab And Storage Ideas





SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Yes! The ears! I remember the pain in those early early days, alhamdulilah figured that one out pretty quick. Thank you for a lovely series of posts, very useful indeed x PS, absolutely loving my cotton wool scarves, they kept me so cool in the heat on holiday it was amazing. Never buying viscose again! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments. Love, love, love reading them! :)

© Love Hijab Girl

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig